More than 10,000 people in Italy have been infected with coronavirus — the most in any country outside of China, where the virus originated, officials said Tuesday.
A total of 631 people have died from the virus in the country, the Italian Civil Protection department said Tuesday, up from 463 the day prior.
On Monday, the country extended a lockdown to include the entire nation after some 16 million people in the country’s “red zone” in Venice and Milan were ordered to isolate on Sunday.
“We all have to renounce something for the good of Italy,” Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said in a news conference announcing the quarantine.
“We have to do it immediately,” he added.
Italy’s government has urged residents to not leave their homes unless they’re going to work, to visit a doctor or for necessary grocery items.
A total of 10,149 people have contracted the virus in the country since the outbreak first hit Italy last month.
With Post Wires
Source: New York Post