Grilled chicken breasts are boring on their own, but with the addition of a zesty sauce, these kebabs are bursting with flavor. Do not be intimidated by the quantity of lemon juice — when brushed over boneless skinless chicken breasts and poured over mild fresh summer squash, it adds the perfect amount of sharp acidity.
30 minutes of active time Time allotted: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Ingredients to prepare:
- 3 small zucchini
- 3 small summer squash
- 1/4 cup (6g) small dill sprigs
- 1/4 cup (8g) torn basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (6g) cup chives, snipped into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup (120ml) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon light honey
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) canola or grapeseed oil, plus more for greasing
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 pounds (907g), boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2-inch (3.8cm) cubes
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Squash blossom petals
- Chopped toasted walnuts
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat a grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius) and coat the grates with oil. In a baking dish, arrange eight wooden skewers and cover them with water. Allow to soak for at least 1 hour before draining. (If you’re using metal skewers, you may omit this step.)
- Meanwhile, cut the summer squash and zucchini into thin ribbons using a mandolin or vegetable peeler. Add the basil, dill, and chives to a medium bowl. Refrigerate covered and chilled while grilling the chicken.
- Whisk together the lemon zest and juice, honey, and garlic in a small bowl. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Continuously whisking, gently stream in the oil. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Split the dressing in half and put aside half of it.
- Season with salt and pepper and thread 5–6 pieces of chicken onto each skewer. Grill the skewers, rotating and basting with half of the lemon dressing, for approximately 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Distribute the squash salad among four dishes and garnish with two skewers on each. Drizzle the remaining lemon dressing over the salad. Shaved Parmesan cheese and chopped walnuts serve as garnish, sprinkled with flaky sea salt. Serve immediately with crusty bread to soak up any remaining dressing.
4 Servings | 2 Skewers and about 2 Cups of Salad
Nutrition (per serving): Calories 444; Fat Total 2g; Saturated Fat 3g; Monounsaturated Fat 14g; Cholesterol 110mg; Sodium 537mg; Carbohydrate 17g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugar 4g; Protein 47g